The scratches on the lenses of your Maui Jim sunglasses just don’t let you enjoy the view. However, there is a quick fix to these scratching problems. All you need is to know how to remove scratches from Maui Jim Sunglasses without damaging them.
Well, gently clean your glasses with a microfiber cloth and some lens cleaner. You can try using a pencil eraser to rub them out if they’re shallow. For deeper scratches, you’ll need to use finer grit sandpaper. Once the scratches are gone, polish your lenses with a lens polishing kit.
Sacred of the sandpaper? Don’t be. There are more ways to get the scratches removed. Today we are taking you through the steps on how you can fix them without putting on more of them. Let’s begin.
Way Of Removing Scratches From Maui Jim Sunglasses
There are a few ways you can remove scratches from Maui Jim Sunglasses. Let’s look at all of them below:
Pro-tip: Within two years of usage, you can always send your scratched Maui Jim sunglasses back to the company to have the lenses replaced.
Glasses Cleaning Spray
Glass cleaning spray is a wonder, especially while cleaning Maui Jim sunglasses. They are cheap, widely available, and damn useful. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- The first step to cleaning your sunglasses is to soak them in warm water.
- Make sure there is enough water in the container so that the lens stays completely submerged.
- You can also use a soft cloth with warm water to wipe off the dirt. This should take away some of the stains but it won’t remove all of them.
- Apply Glasses Cleaning Spray to a clean cloth and gently wipe away any scratches on the lenses.
- Rinse the lenses with clean water and dry them with a soft, clean cloth.
Finer Grit Sandpaper
For deeper scratches, using sandpaper is the best option you got. However, overdoing the steps can lead to more scratches. So be careful.
- Start by cleaning your sunglasses with a mild soap and water solution. This will help to remove any dirt or debris that might be on the surface of the lenses.
- Next, take a piece of 600-grit sandpaper and gently sand the surface of the lenses. Be sure to move the sandpaper in a circular motion to avoid creating any new scratches.
- Once you’ve sanded the lenses, take a soft cloth and buff them until they’re shiny and free of scratches.
- When you still see some scratches, repeat the steps a second time.
- Once you’re finished, clean the lenses with a mild soap and water solution to remove any residual compound
Some people prefer to use vinegar instead of rubbing alcohol when removing scratches on their Maui Jim sunglasses. Here are the steps:
- Hold the sunglasses so that the lenses are facing down.
- Place the sunglasses on a jack stand or other raised surface.
- Carefully pour vinegar onto the lenses, being careful not to get any on the frames or other parts of the glasses.
- Let sit for a few minutes, then wipe off with a soft cloth or cotton swab dipped in vinegar (if needed).
- Rinse the lenses with clean water and dry them with a soft cloth. Your sunglasses should now be scratch-free.
- Maui Jim Red Sands Vs Oakley Holbrook
- Maui Jim Vs Ray-Ban Vs Oakley (Why Different Shades Matter)
- Maui Jim Bi Gradient Vs Gradient
With Blended Baking Soda And Water
When you have a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses with scratches, here is a simple way to remove them using baking soda.
- Make a paste by mixing together equal parts baking soda and water in a bowl or cup.
- Rub the paste onto the scratched areas of your sunglasses with a soft cloth or cotton swab, using circular motions.
- Rinse off the paste with warm water and dry your glasses with a clean, soft cloth.
- Your Maui Jim sunglasses should now be free of scratches!
Using Liquid Dishwashing Soap
Some liquids such as dishwashing soap can remove scratches from Maui Jim sunglasses. Try the steps below for a quick and easy way to remove scratches from your Maui Jim sunglasses:
- To start, simply wet a soft cloth with the soap and gently rub it over the scratched area.
- You should see the scratches start to disappear immediately.
- If necessary, you can use a little bit of elbow grease to get rid of stubborn scratches.
- Once you’re satisfied with the results, rinse off the glasses with clean water and dry them with a soft cloth.
Using Rubbing Alcohol
Having a scratched pair of sunglasses is a bummer, especially when you spent a whole lot on them. Luckily, rubbing alcohol is here to help you out:
- Just apply a small amount of rubbing alcohol to a cotton ball or soft cloth, and gently rub it over the scratched area in a circular motion.
- The alcohol will help to break down the scratch, making it less visible.
- For best results, repeat this process several times until the scratch is no longer visible.
- You may also want to try using a polishing cloth or buffing pad to further improve the appearance of your sunglasses.
Things To Consider While Removing Scratches From Maui Jim Sunglasses
When a person wears sunglasses, scratches and other damage happen to them. Here are the things you need to consider while removing scratches from Maui Jim sunglasses:
Hold the glasses firmly
To begin, you should always be aware of the level of risk involved in your activities. Be sure you have a firm grasp of the glasses and that they are securely in place before beginning your work.
Determine the scratch level
If the scratches are noticeable, they’re probably deep and should be left alone. Take a closer look at them and see if you can find any other scratches that you might have missed.
Leave deeper scratches for the professionals
Rule of thumb, when they are especially hard to remove, avoid scratching them further. A new Maui Jim sunglass should have two years of warranty. So, take it to the shop you bought it from.
Use a soft and lint-free cloth
Start with a soft, lint-free cloth. Gently rub it back and forth over the scratches in a circular motion. Make sure you use a dry cloth so that you don’t get soap or anything else on it.
Progress to mild abrasive solution
Supposing that the above methods aren’t helping, you may need to try using a mild abrasive. Put the abrasive on the cloth first, and then apply it to the scratches.
Never apply abrasives directly
Remember, never apply abrasives directly to the glasses. Once you’re finished, put the cloth back in its original spot and wash it thoroughly before using it again.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do Maui Jim Sunglasses Scratch Easily?
Maui Jim sunglasses are some of the most popular on the market, and they hardly scratch. Not only do they look great, but they’re also scratch-resistant and water/oilproof. So, if you’re looking for a new pair of sunglasses that will stand up to your active lifestyle, Maui Jim is a great option.
Can Maui Jim Lenses Be Polished?
Sure Maui Jim lenses can be polished. You can use a lens cloth or a soft, clean cloth to buff the lenses and remove any smudges or fingerprints. If your lenses are very dirty, you can use a mild soap and water solution to clean them.
Is There A Lifetime Warranty On Maui Jim Sunglasses?
There is no warranty on Maui Jim Sunglasses, as they are very popular items in today’s market. However, you will get a 2 years service warranty. These sunglasses can last you for up to a lifetime, so you hardly need to worry.
Though Maui Jim sunglasses are made from 100% premium quality polycarbonate material, they aren’t scratch-proof. However, when you know how to remove scratches from Maui Jim sunglasses, any Maui Jim glasses will last years to come.
If you want to use a chemical solution to treat the scratches, you must first thoroughly dry the lens and then clean the scratches using mild soap and warm water first. Make sure the water ain’t too hot and that you avoid touching the scratched area.
Do not use abrasives or anything harsh to remove the scratches right in the beginning.
This is all for now. Try not to scratch the glasses next time, okay? Have a good day.